6 Famous Movies You Didn’t Realize Were Filmed in Belize
Everyone loves a good action movie- a good plot or a fantastic tale, but did you know that Belize is featured in a few pretty good movies? Yep, you heard right- Belize is the background for several Hollywood films and here is the list:
1) 2012: Kurse a di Xtabai (Curse of the Xtabai) directed by Matthiew Klinck, this 80-minute Creole-language thriller is the first major dramatic movie filmed entirely in Belize. The feature was selected as the opening night movie of the 2012 Belize International Film Festival.
2) Alien Origin- Shot in the jungles of Belize and filmed by Mark Atkins, this 2012 action movie features scenes in some of Belize’s expansive cave system and even a Mennonite community with mysterious plot about an archeology team that goes missing during an expedition.
3) The Dogs of War- This 1980 war film stars Christopher Walken and Tom Berenger, depicting a plot by a British tycoon to bring down a fictional African president in order to gain access to Plantium deposits. This movie features well known Belize landmarks including the Chateau Caribbean Hotel that was lost recently in a tragic fire.
4) Mosquito Coast-starring Harrison Ford, Helen Mirren, Andre Gregory, and River Phoenix. Although not shot entirely in Belize, several locations are featured including Gracie Rock, Sibun River and Manatee Rivers as well as San Pedro, Ambergris Caye and Belize City.
5) Mega Piranha– Shot entirely in Belize stars Tiffany, Paul Logan and Barry Williams. Although filmed in Belize, the movie is actually about the Orionco River in Venezuela. This action movie features enormous killer piranhas that destroy threaten to destroy everything in their path.
6) The Cay-A short film made in 1974 also based on a novel by the same name and staring James Earl Jones, Alfred Lutter and Gretchen Corbett who were ship wreaked on a deserted island following a WWII torpedo attack.
The tropical oasis of Belize offers an inviting backdrop for action movies set in the tangled rainforest or on the quiet but mysterious rivers of our glorious jewel…Imagine yourself here- floating on inner tubes through underground caves or basking on Belize beaches or scaling ancient Mayan temples. See the movies, but live the adventures in Belize with our range of of All Inclusive- Action Packed Belize Vacations. Call Toll Free today 1-866-357-2698 and book an unforgettable time in Belize!